A Dirtbag Anarchist Hiker's Manifesto

A time comes in everybody's life, or at least it should, when they seriously question everything that came before.

This isn't that time. That time was like two years ago. Now is the time for doing. It's time for a personal manifesto.

A Dirtbag Hiker's Manifesto

The American Dream doesn't come in a single apple pie-flavored variety. Oh hell no! It's okay, nay, it's more than okay, to prefer something different. Perhaps something a bit more messier with a bit more grit. A bit of bitter, even, to make those sweet moments even sweeter. It's not purely an American Dream, either, but a human dream -- one which we are obligated to pursue if we are lucky enough to be born somewhere with the possibility. Let's embrace it, instead of fighting it. In doing so, we embrace our true selves.

1) I will walk softly on this earth. This means:
  • Eating a primarily plant-based diet and maintaining my own body.
  • Minimizing use of single-use plastics and plastics in general.
  • Choosing nonconsumer and low-consumer methods to fulfill personal needs.
  • Protecting the wild places, even those carved out in the middle of civilization.
  • Treating all beings with the respect they deserve.
Down with the ruling class, up with the community and nature.
2)  I will remain true to my calling. This means:
  • The American Dream is not my dream, and I will no longer feel obliged to conform.
  • Changing paths mid-hike is not a flaw of character, but sometimes necessary.
  • I do it all for the trees, the flowers, and the seeds. My loyalty lies in the woods.
  • Money doesn't buy happiness, and my life is not to be sacrificed in pursuit of it. 
  • As long as money remains necessary, though, I will stick to my principals to earn it.
Fuck capitalism and the centralized economy.
3)  I will share the stoke. This means:
  • Building and participating in community.
  • Sharing my skills and knowledge with the next generation.
  • Volunteering my time to help the causes I care about.
  • To speak up when my voice is needed.
  • Being an example by remaining true to my own stoke.
Mutual aid and community building -- all beings are equal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A different place doesn't mean a different you

Radical Homeschooling

Journal 8.30.20